Women’s Aid Organisation
WAO stands for Women’s Aid Organisation, an independent organisation started in 1982. WAO has worked for years to bring violence against women into the spotlight in order to prevent it and promote women’s rights. As part of this mission, they run a Women’s Refuge. The refuge shelters battered women, abused migrant workers, trafficked women, women asylum seekers and single mothers of different cultures, geographical backgrounds and languages. In the past year, they have provided shelter to over 168 women and 130 children who would otherwise have been left in dangerous situations. They counseled, either via telephone calls or meetings, nearly 1,900 women. WAO also launched the #NoExcuseforAbuse campaign to create more awareness for the issue of domestic violence AND started a new text based helpline called TINA which stands for Think I Need Help.
WAO will use the ABWM donation to renovate the Refuge as it is starting to show the signs of aging due to the continuous usage while they keep their doors open 24 hours a day.
If you are able to make a commitment, WAO are looking for volunteers in the following areas.
- Organise activities for the children.
- Organise activities for the women, for example, craft sessions, language classes, cookery lessons, computer skills, or another idea you have which you would like to share.
- Teach the children at the Refuge and Child Care Centre
- Spending time listening to the women and children
- Provide transport and accompany women who need to make police reports, go the hospital, or run errands.
- Help out at fundraising and/or public education events.
- Help out with administrative work at WAO.