The Association Of British Women In Malaysia
The ABWM was formed in 1975 when ex-patriate women, accompanying their husbands working in Malaysia, got together to have some FUN, SUPPORT each other and raise money for CHARITY. We are a not-for-profit organisation with a lively and diverse set of members; all of whom have an affinity with the UK. We bring together like-minded people to make new friends, pursue hobbies and common interests and volunteer to help local charities.
Join us and you won’t be bored! You might join our photography, Mahjong, tennis or Pilates groups; you might live it up at one of our lavish Balls or you might get involved in our charity work, teaching orphaned children or supporting disadvantaged women at the Refugee Centre. Whatever your interests, there’ll be something for you. For just 220RM per year, members enjoy these benefits (and more!):-
- Monthly magazine packed with useful articles, hints and tips of what to do and where to go in KL (10 per year delivered to your door)
- Weekly newsletter outlining what’s on in KL both within and outside of the association
- Regular events such as a Christmas Bazaar, Monthly lunches, Welcome back brunch, quizzes, Race Day, Great British Ball and more…
- Opportunity to join hobbies and clubs such as Mahjong, Tennis, Pilates, Photography etc.
- The chance to do good work for charity by volunteering to support good causes such as Orphanages, Animal hospitals and hostels
- Be part of a social network of ladies who support each other throughout their time in KL.
Other interesting facts about us include:-
- We have over 420 members and over 500 people get our magazine
- Members join mostly for friendship and social events
- 90% of members say we have a thriving community that is well managed
- Our strongest value is charity
- Members say that we have a varied and regular schedule of events and the Christmas Bazaar is our most popular
- More than 1,000 people – expats and local families visit our Christmas Bazaar each year.